About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog which I hope to develop with some interesting material on ultra running both on the trails and road including reports on races and interesting training runs, views on kit and equipment as well as anything else I find of interest. I love running for adventure, opportunity and well being. Enjoy!

Monday 21 June 2010

Early bird catches the worm (The Welsh 3000s)

Another UTMB training jaunt, this time a dash accross the the Welsh 3000s (minus Crib Goch, I wasn't feeling it) a couple of Fridays ago. I headed accross to Snowdonia straight from work on the Thursday, spending the evening at Pen y Pass YHA which was a great place apart from the dorm being super-hot through the night (heating on in June, what's that all about?). Maybe they thought I was still running Western States in which case it would have been great heat training.

Getting up early and to the top of Snowdon for 7am was a good call, it was a sheer joy up there. Not a soul around and the cloud level below the peaks at about 600m creating some incredible views.....



The run went well, I felt strong throughout, maybe all the recent hill (mountain?) work is starting to pay off. I even completed the 'loop' by dropping down to Bethesda and back over to Llanberis on foot making for a total of around 35miles and quite a bit of up and down.
And then back home to the Midlands on Friday night ready for the weekend and more training. Well that's the way we like it :o)

2 comments:

Brian Mc said...

Stunning shots, absolutely glorious.

I DNF'd the GUCR at 94 miles with a chronic lack of motivation to complete. Looking at those photos makes me realise canals aren't the thing for me. 'tis the mountains. Come on UTMB.

HappyTrails said...

Beautiful scenery photos - hope you are coming on fine after the foot malfunction. Was looking forward to you pushing the fellas at WS100 but there's always next year!